The Howell Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation is accepting applications for the 2022 Margaret Starkey Scholarship, which recognizes outstanding employees who are also attending college or technical school.
This scholarship of the Howell Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation honors the memory of Margaret Starkey, who passed in 2002.
Margaret proudly served as an executive assistant at the chamber for 31 years until she retired in 1987. She was dedicated and enthusiastic, a woman who had great attention to detail and a love of community service. These outstanding personal qualities helped her achieve great success despite big obstacles in her life. It is this spirit the scholarship honors.
It is an honor for the Howell Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation to reward employees for outstanding service and encourage educational advancement. We hope you will consider being part of this rewarding scholarship program with a generous donation.
Approximately 3-4 scholarships up to $1,500 each are awarded.
The Foundation will award scholarships to non-traditional students who are nominated by their employers. Those selected will best exemplify Mrs. Starkey’s outstanding qualities of dedication, enthusiasm, community service and attention to detail, all these accompanied by Mrs. Starkey’s success despite obstacles in her life.
The goal of the scholarship is to assist outstanding, non-traditional students who are advancing their education while working. If you wish to honor such an employee who works for you, please complete the 2022 application, and return it to the Howell Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation before Monday, May 16, 2022.
– The nominee must have been employed with the nominating company since at least September 2021. The nominating company must be located within Livingston County.
– There are no age limits on the Margaret Starkey Scholarship.
– The nominee may be a college or technical school student.
– If the nominee is a high school student, he or she must have plans to attend college or technical school in the fall of 2022 and continue to work for the nominating company.
– The nominee must have a minimum 2.5 grade point average.
– Nominees cannot be related to the business owner or managerial staff.
– There is no limit to the number of nominees per business.
– Applications must be received no later than May 16, 2022.
– The committee will review all applications. Follow up telephone calls may be made to nominating businesses for further information.
– Winners will be announced in June.
Previous Margaret Starkey Winners:
Investing in Livingston County’s working students pays big dividends for our community
Thanks to our generous donors:
To download a Margaret Starkey Scholarship brochure, click here.
Applications are available each year beginning in March, with a submission deadline in mid-May.